Locating the Parent Obligated to Pay Support

Information about a case participant is needed to carry out the administrative and legal services provided by Central Sierra Child Support Agency. We have access to several federal, state, county, and private resources that may assist in identifying information on a case participant, but your help is needed.

The most important information that you can provide is the parent’s social security number, date of birth, and any employment information. When a legal action is filed, the obligor must be given notice of the legal action to allow them to take the necessary steps to protect his or her rights. We use mail or personal service to meet the state’s service of process requirements, so we need a correct address. If you do not have the address, we obtain information from:

  • Employment Development Department (EDD)
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) /Franchise Tax Board (FTB)
  • Credit reporting agencies
  • Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
  • Local and state criminal records
  • The California and Federal Parent Locator Service (CPLS and FPLS)
  • Court records